The limbic system is a key area for the regulation of emotions and anxiety. The limbic structures process incoming stimuli and regulate our emotional responses. There are various structures involved(the all important amygdala, the hippocampus, thalamus, hypothalamus, among others). The amygdala is an almond shaped little structure in the brain, a key for anxiety. It fires much more readily in those with anxiety, and is larger than in people without much anxiety. Even at age 5, in kids with separation anxiety, the amygdala is much larger and fires often. Anxiety often begins in early childhood as separation anxiety(think of the little tyke holding onto mom’s leg for dear life on the first day of kindergarten). Then, as years go on the anxiety often morphs into generalized anxiety, OCD, panic disorder, and social anxiety. Anxiety, and the size of our amygdala, is very genetic and inherited; one can trace anxiety in multiple generations within a family. Just as in headache, anxiety(and depression) are not “psychological” or “in your head”, but physical, inherited constructs. The other structures that are key in anxiety include the thalamus, the left prefrontal cortex, and the anterior cingulate gyrus. For a terrific read on Anxiety, and the brain structures involved: The Anxious Brain by Wehrenberg and Prinz.
- New Butalbital Product(similar to Fioricet/Fiorinal/Esgic/Phrenilin)
- CGRP QUESTIONS/ANSWERS
- "Certain Migraine Medications May Be More Effective Than Ibuprofen" from MedicalNewsToday
- "What Can Cause Stomach Pain and a Headache?" from Medical News Today
- "Terrell Davis Recalls How A Debilitating Migraine Almost Took Him Out of Super Bowl XXXII" from People magazine
- CGRP AND SIDE EFFECTS: LETTER IN ‘HEADACHE”
- CGRP Migraine Monoclonal Injections: proceed with caution" from Dr. Robbins, M.D.
- The Limbic System and Anxiety
adolescents Alzheimer's disease Alzheimers anxiety back pain blood pressure botox brain caffeine children chronic migraine chronic pain cluster headache concussion concussions COVID-19 dementia depression diet exercise fibromyalgia Headache headache blog headaches health heart disease meditation migraine migraine headache migraine headaches migraines migraine triggers migraine with aura pain Pandemic physical activity sleep stress stroke triggers triptans vitamin D walking women yoga