My how things have changed since the dinasaur days when I was a resident(early 80’s)….there are new rules on hours a resident may work, and with electronic medical records, many hours are spent in front of the computer: half of the residents day, in fact. The Law of Unintended Consequences comes into effect: By limiting residnet hours, they do not learn nearly as much or as well; medicine training is experiential, you cannot substitute for sitting with a patient and talking. Residents now spend only 8 minutes per patient, with much more time “documenting into a computer”. (Documenting for what, so they can defend themselves in court 2 years later, how dumb…but I digress..)……The result of limited time with patients is the legions of new doctors can’t work out difficult problmes as well when you are sick; they don’t feel the connection to you(it is more a 9 to 4 mentality, after all, they must be at every game and practice of their kids), and overall we have relatively crummy medical care. And expensive. Great. And, as an aside, I have noticed that the headache training that new residents recieve has gone downhill, to the point where most new neurologists barely recognize cluster headaches, let alone are able to treat them…….Larry “on my soapbox” Robbins,M.D.
Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter
You have Successfully Subscribed!
- CGRP QUESTIONS/ANSWERS
- "What Can Cause Stomach Pain and a Headache?" from Medical News Today
- New Butalbital Product(similar to Fioricet/Fiorinal/Esgic/Phrenilin)
- CGRP AND SIDE EFFECTS: LETTER IN ‘HEADACHE”
- CGRP Migraine Monoclonal Injections: proceed with caution" from Dr. Robbins, M.D.
- The Limbic System and Anxiety
- Kratom(a natural opioid/stimulant):Why is it important
- "Terrell Davis Recalls How A Debilitating Migraine Almost Took Him Out of Super Bowl XXXII" from People magazine
adolescents Alzheimer's disease Alzheimers anxiety back pain blood pressure botox brain caffeine children chronic migraine chronic pain cluster headache concussion concussions COVID-19 dementia depression diet exercise fibromyalgia Headache headache blog headaches health heart disease meditation migraine migraine headache migraine headaches migraines migraine triggers migraine with aura pain Pandemic physical activity sleep stress stroke triggers triptans vitamin D walking women yoga