Many with NDPH noted a flu-like illness, or a virus, shortly before the sudden onset of the headache; however, even though EBV(the mono virus) is found in most with NDPH, the association with a virus is murky at best. Stress, after surgery, toxic exposures, these are all possible triggering events.Todd Rozen,M.D., neurologist/headache specialist, has noted that cervical spine joint hypermobility may play a role. In those with frequent headaches, connective tissue disorders that lead to joint hypermobility may predispose to the headaches. NPH patients are somewhat more likely to have thin, long necks, and be tall and thin themselves. The other factor noted by Dr. Rozen(in Headache Currents, in Headache, Aprill 2011) is CNS inflammation, with an elevation(increase) in Tumor necrosis factor alpha(TNF alpha). This goes along with previous studies indicating an overactive central immune system in headache patients, with “pro-inflammatory” proteins floating around the brain and head. I began publishing on this in the late 1980’s, as I was convinced, and still am, that the immune system plays a key role in headache. We will get into treatment of NDPH later, although it is often a difficult condition to treat.
- New Butalbital Product(similar to Fioricet/Fiorinal/Esgic/Phrenilin)
- CGRP QUESTIONS/ANSWERS
- CGRP AND SIDE EFFECTS: LETTER IN ‘HEADACHE”
- "What Can Cause Stomach Pain and a Headache?" from Medical News Today
- "Terrell Davis Recalls How A Debilitating Migraine Almost Took Him Out of Super Bowl XXXII" from People magazine
- "People With Migraine Really Are Affected By The Weather" from MigraineAgain
- "Certain Migraine Medications May Be More Effective Than Ibuprofen"
- "How To Spot A Wellness Scam" from The New York Times
adolescents Alzheimer's disease Alzheimers anxiety back pain blood pressure botox brain caffeine children chronic migraine chronic pain cluster headache concussion concussions COVID-19 dementia depression diet exercise fibromyalgia Headache headache blog headaches health heart disease meditation migraine migraine headache migraine headaches migraines migraine triggers migraine with aura pain Pandemic physical activity sleep stress stroke triggers triptans vitamin D walking women yoga