Many patients arrive on alot of pain meds/analgesics, with a letter in hand from some neurologist or headache center, stating they have “MOH: medication overuse headache”. These patients have frequent(often daily) moderate or severe headaches, and have not found that any daily preventive, or Botox, helps enough. So, instead of staying in bed, they take whatever helps them to function, whether it is Excedrin or Fiorinal(butalbital) or sumatriptan or hydrocodone or a combination. The truth from my vantage point is that only about 46% of people find daily preventives, over the long term, to be all that useful; the other 54% find that they either wear out, or they have intolerable side effects. There is MOH, and then there is simple MO: medication overuse(without headaches resulting from it). It can be very difficult to determine whether someone is actually suffering rebound(withdrawal) headache from the overuse of the meds, or simply recurrence of their daily headache, having little to do with the meds. What we do not want to do is punish or blame the poor suffering patient.
- New Butalbital Product(similar to Fioricet/Fiorinal/Esgic/Phrenilin)
- CGRP QUESTIONS/ANSWERS
- CGRP Migraine Monoclonal Injections: proceed with caution" from Dr. Robbins, M.D.
- "Terrell Davis Recalls How A Debilitating Migraine Almost Took Him Out of Super Bowl XXXII" from People magazine
- CGRP AND SIDE EFFECTS: LETTER IN ‘HEADACHE”
- Turmeric (Curcumin) Capsules for Headaches and Arthritis Migraine blog
- "What Can Cause Stomach Pain and a Headache?" from Medical News Today
- "The Truth About White (And Pink And Brown) Noise For Sleep" from CNN Health
adolescents Alzheimer's disease Alzheimers anxiety back pain blood pressure botox brain caffeine children chronic migraine chronic pain cluster headache concussion concussions COVID-19 dementia depression diet exercise fibromyalgia Headache headache blog headaches health heart disease meditation migraine migraine headache migraine headaches migraines migraine triggers migraine with aura pain Pandemic physical activity sleep stress stroke triggers triptans vitamin D walking women yoga