Migraine headaches frequently are characterized by symptoms such as nausea, dull or severe head pain and sensitivity to light.
In some sufferers, certain foods may help trigger migraines. The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers this list:
- Processed, marinated, fermented or pickled foods.
- Baked goods.
- Chocolate or dairy foods.
- Foods that contain MSG (monosodium glutamate).
- Foods that contain tyramine, including red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken liver, figs or certain beans.
- Citrus fruits, bananas or avocados.
- Processed meats containing nitrates, such as hot dogs, salami or bacon.
- Nuts or peanut butter.